Wednesday 18 January 2012

Spare Wheel

So a while back I was faced with a conundrum. Given the huge calipers under the front wheels, it is almost guaranteed my OEM wheels will not fit over them even with hubcentric spacers. This is because the spacers will be sized for the CE28's which are wider and have a lower offset, thus giving more clearance.
So what happens if I get a front puncture? There are two immediate options for this:
  1. Keep the standard spare or an OEM wheel in the boot - swap one of the rear CE28's to the front and put the OEM on the rear. However you never know where (and under what conditions) you might end up having to change a wheel; rather one than two. Additionally I would need OEM wheel nuts for that wheel as the taper seat is different (not that that is an issue).
  2. Tyre Weld - I always have a couple of cans in the boot, but to be honest I have seen a friend use this first hand and I wasn't impressed. Maybe he didn't use it correctly but even if this was true, his application of it looked sensible to me and thus I would expect to simliarly fail..
There is of course a third option, which is to keep another CE28 spare wheel in the boot. For me personally, the outlay of a brand new CE28 is not worth it as they are uber expensive. But if you can find one second hand..... ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment