Saturday 21 January 2012

Progress Updates

I went down to TGM this morning to drop off my spare wheel. On approach I noticed this.


My Function7 lower control arms and rear subframe brace were on. However the F7 anti-roll bar brackets were not on yet as the oem bushes are of a different shape. Tom is sourcing aftermarket bushes that will fit though so once he gets those the brackets will be on.

I took a look at the new Koyo radiator and it's lovely even though it's hiding behind the aircon condensor. I really can't wait to see what water temps I will be getting at Snetterton in March. With the oem radiator, my running temperature is 90°C and on track it shoots up to over 110°C easily!

Koyo R-Series Competition Radiator peeking out behind the aircon condensor.
Whilst I was there I found out what brake pads Tom had chosen. I knew they would be Hawk pads but didn't know what Tom had put in. I had told Tom I wanted something aggressive as I don't drive the teg often (or fast) on the road, only fast on track. Additionally I really don't care about squeeling brakes. Squeeling brake pads scream motorsport to me instead of embaressment.

What this meant was I wanted something more than the Hawk HP Plus, which is a fast road/track day pad. I was guessing that it would be something like the HT-10, however Tom had chosen the DTC-70, Hawk's top race compound!
Hawk DTC-70 brake pad. I was surprised the backing came in red but looks awesome (I know that's not the point)
I was secretly very happy about this as I was contemplating running two sets of pads, a low dust street pad for the road and the DTC-70's for track. Afterall, changing brake pads with my calipers is stupidly quick and going halfway house with the pads given this caliper/disc set up is a cop out and was bugging me :)

The DTC-70's operate at 204-871°C (400-1600°F) and  have an extremely high torque. They are designed to have aggressive, controllable initial bite with great release and torque control characteristics. The pads are designed for race cars with high deceleration rates with or without down force.

1 comment: