Tuesday 8 November 2011

Avid Motor Mounts

During my last track day at Brands, the exhaust tone had suddenly changed whilst coming on to Cooper Straight, along with some popping and banging. There'd felt like a slight power loss however what really worried me was that the exhaust note had changed from 'tuned' to 'rough'.

After some investigation by Tom it so happened the flexi in the 2-1 had collapsed. The flexi was obviously doing its 'thing' and well... flexing, but alas too much with the engine movement as you can see below.


J's will be sending over a replacement flexi as they no longer produce the 2-1 section for the DC5 *Shock*. This will probably arrive with my last remaining bits I am waiting for.

Luckily for me I managed to source a spare brand new 2-1 that Karl from TRO was selling - Cheers Karl.


Anyway, you should've worked out now why this entry is titled the way it is. I was going to replace my engine mounts (already with ESMMs) with stiffer mounts only when they became knackered, however after this episode I ordered a set of Avid 75A Motor Mounts. A lot stiffer and no doubt will produce more vibrations within the cabin. However with stiffer mounts comes more front end grip :)
Learning to heel toe is probably on the cards now to ease the load I put on my downshifts ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment