Saturday 22 January 2011

Silverstone - Stowe Circuit

So last Saturday, the long awaited HOT (Hondas On Track) day was finally upon me. We were on the Stowe circuit at Silverstone with Lotus On Track (LOT). Was a good day, a bit slippery because of the damp conditions and someone dropping oil on the pit straight but that added a different dimension of fun.

One thing that became more apparent on this short twisty circuit was the limitation of my suspension set up. The car was understeering and felt quite wallowy (two tight successive S bends really highlighted this). I just couldn't carry decent speed through the slow corners. I had not really noticed this at Brands at all as you would expect; Brands having mainly fast corners where the teg performs very well especially with the LSD. In saying all this, of course the driver is a big factor also :)
Nevertheless, what this does mean is I am relieved, re-assured and happy that I have ordered the Nitrons (plus I'll go with a more aggressive setup). Don't get me wrong, the Eibachs are a fantastic coilover. I still stand by my view that they are one of the best fast road, occasional track coilovers you can get. But that's the issue now. I want a track biased car in the handling stakes and to be frank, there's a reason why they are called Eibach Pro Street S coilovers. Anyway, enough chat. Some pictures below and a video of my last stint of the day.

Stowe Circuit layout





Thanks to the guys at HOT for the excellent pictures of my car on track. They aren't just talented in the driver's seat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment